Monday, January 10, 2011

The Excitement of a Child


Next month, my husband and I are taking our two kids on a trip to Florida. My nine-year-old daughter is so excited, she can barely stand it. My five-year-old son doesn't really understand what it means to "be at Florida", but he can tell by his sister's enthusiasm that Florida must be pretty darn great.

He's excited, but he doesn't really understand why. Even though he wants to, he can't really understand what we're talking about. Even if I show him pictures and videos of Disneyworld, even if I share with him what I remember of the park as a kid, his five-year-old self can't imagine what's in store. He has to experience it for himself.

It struck me that I'm the same way about heaven. Everyone around me is excited for this eternal theme park in the sky, so to speak, though none of us has any real idea of what it's all about. John tried to explain it, Jesus hinted at the glories that await, so we're all aglow in anticipation. Still, we won't really "get it" until we're there. Just like my son won't be able to wrap his head around the enormity of Disneyworld until he's had a chance to explore it in person.

I delight in sharing the experience with him, remembering the awe I felt as a kid, and it makes me smile to think of how Jesus anticipates showing me around the 'hood.

Can't wait! :)

2 comments:

  1. Have a great time:) No worries, he'll "get it" as soon as you get there! My kids, (9 and 6) have been twice and want to go every year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to be able to share this with your family! Now is the magical time when it will leave a lasting impression. Even more importantly, they will remember the fun they had with YOU and that YOU gave them the wonders they will see. Be safe and have tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete