Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Covers on my bed and in my head

If you follow me on Facebook, you already know I have been sick for the last several days. Bleugh... That's unfun in a big, fat, lousy, whiny, Oh-God-when-is-it-going-to-end kind of way. So I won't bore you with the details, other than to say I have been in bed for much of the last few days (hence the covers on my bed).

Meanwhile, I have been thinking about a new cover for Between and was able to do a little research online today. I can't afford to have a pro do the cover, so I have to rely on my own piece-it-together skills (until the cash starts rolling in- ha!). I found a great site I wanted to share with you, in case you were in the same boat.

You can get royalty-free images that can be used for book covers at www.sxc.hu. Some beautiful stuff there (700 pages in the "playing with light" section alone!).

If you made your own book cover, share tips and tricks on how you did it. If you do graphic design and feel the need to help out poor pitiful me, all the better (said through a cloud of antihistamines, so I may have to strike that pitiful plea later).

I raise my hot toddy to you and hope you stay clear of the fug!

6 comments:

  1. I wish I could help, but I'm in the same boat as you. I did hire a pro to do a piece, but the scene he chose to do doesn't work for a cover. It could be interior art, though. I still want to find an artist who can do the cover that I envision. If anyone out there knows an artist who can successfully mimic Alan Lee, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndi - I use GIMP, which is a free program. I love design and have done covers for other people. Shoot me an email and we'll talk. You can see the covers and headers I've done here: http://noellepierce.com/Graphics.html

    Hope you feel better soon!

    x♥x
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you're not feeling well. Hope you get better pronto! In the meantime, you might also want to check out iStockphoto in your search for images. They have a great selection, reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, mate. Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly :( Lots of sleep and drink plenty! Listen to doctor Kurt...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, here's a list of Freeware image editors if it's any good to you. Have fun! :) Gotta love free stuff!

    http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gmm/fwgraphicedit.html

    ReplyDelete